Pizza and beer are common partners for a reason. There are few things quite as satisfying as that first bite of pizza, and beer makes that first bite ever present; carbonation scrubs the grease away, the bitterness cuts the sweet mozzarella and tomato, and the malt cools any spiciness.
|Aroma: medium-low chipotle and roasted tomato, low toasted crust and a hint of sweet potato|
|Flavor: medium sweet potato just dominates with low heat, low smokiness and low grainy crust supporting; aftertaste is slightly salty with mozzarella finally presenting itself, then low smoke and salt linger|
|Texture: crisp crust contrasts with soft potato, starchy beans and slightly chewy cheese|
|Pairing: The sweetness of the beer harmonizes with the sweet potato, giving a chocolate milk impression for a moment before the residual chili heat re-asserts itself leaving a rich milk chocolate and low chipotle heat to linger. The sweet potato on the pizza seems almost candy-like after a sip of the beer and the cheese is present before the chipotle and remains a major flavor through the after taste.|
Chipotle-Sweet Potato Pizza
The crust here is very thin and super crisp; other flours can work just fine using the same ratio. If you do not have a pizza stone, an upside-down baking sheet heated for 30 minutes yields approximately similar results.
100 g (1/3 cup) semolina flour
2 g (¼ t) salt
2 g (¼ t) instant yeast
2 g (½ t) oil
60 g water
3.5 oz sweet potato, sliced into thin rounds
½ T canola oil
1 T adobo sauce
100 g mozzarella, shredded
50 g smoked mozzarella, shredded
1 chipotle in adobo, sliced in half lengthwise, then 1/8 inch slices
- Pre-heat oven and baking stone to 500 F for 1 hour.
- Mix flour, salt and yeast, then add ½ t oil and water; stir to combine and knead by head about 2 minutes until dough has a slight spring to it; let rise about 45 minutes until doubled in size.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, add1/2 T oil and then potato slices. Cook 3 minutes, flip and cook 2 more minutes. Remove potatoes to a paper towel lined plate.
- Roll into a 12 inch circle on cornmeal dusted pizza peal; dock dough with fork to prevent large bubbles.
- Bake on stone 3 ½ minutes, until it just begins to brown. Remove from oven onto cooling rack.
- Brush adobo sauce on crust. Blend cheeses and sprinkle evenly over crust getting close to the edge as possible.
- Sprinkle beans over cheese; then arrange potato slices and then place chipotle pieces between potato.
- Bake 6 minutes at 500 F on pizza stone, until cheese bubbles and starts to brown. Remove from oven and cool 4 minutes on a rack; slice and eat!